Welcome to GRMEP/Michigan State University Internal Medicine Residency Program. We’re excited about our program, and we invite you to explore our website and discover why you should be here!
Why GRMEP? Quotes from our current residents:
“I love the program for these reasons: superb emphasis on resident education, multidisciplinary approach in patient care, excellent camaraderie among staff, and the fact that the program is located in Grand Rapids which has simply the best of everything in terms of cultural attractions, recreational activities and economic opportunities.” PGY-2
“With state of the art hospital facilities and a friendly, welcoming residency staff; Grand Rapids was a perfect choice for me to do my residency training. Additionally, West Michigan is a beautiful area with lots to see and do.” PGY-1
“I believe People are what make an institute special. I observed a genuine camaraderie among house staff, faculty and administrative staff during my interview. GRMEP provides ample opportunities for academic and clinical grooming of a physician”. PGY-1
“Great education, great experience, great city, great learning environment, in a program that will still allow you to have a life outside of work. I couldn’t ask for much more than that.” PGY-3
“A place second to none!” PGY-3.
- We have a long-standing, strong community commitment to the education of medical residents in our community. The pledge signed by all medical staff members at Spectrum Health’s two hospitals in Grand Rapids includes “I agree to participate in teaching assignments and to accept other responsibilities if required by my department.”
- Our attending physicians are very approachable and work in a cooperative atmosphere with our medical residents, treating them with appropriate respect.
- Our hospitals serve a regional patient population of approximately one million people who look to our hospitals for almost all of their medical care. This yields the broadest spectrum of diseases for educating our residents.
- Our Internal Medicine residents are able to interact with almost 250 other residents training in other medical fields. We believe that our community has the largest number of postgraduate physicians in training of any center that does not have a university hospital on site.
- All former program directors for our Internal Medicine residency have retained an active role in educating our residents.
- We can adjust our service sizes to meet the educational needs of our residents.
- Our community recently made a large commitment to medical research. The Van Andel Institute recently opened and the first of what could be over a hundred investigators are starting to work at this facility adjacent to our primary teaching hospital. We look forward to future collaboration with research institute.
Dedicated faculty committed to teaching competent, outstanding physicians in an academic and collegial environment.
* Rotations at Spectrum Health and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s Healthcare offer a rich educational experience with a culturally diverse patient population.
* An academic program affiliated with The Michigan State University-College of Human Medicine
* Research track combines residency and PhD training. The VanAndel Institute, a world-class facility dedicated primarily to genetic and molecular cancer research, offers research opportunities to our residents.
Listing of our recent graduates’ Fellowship Programs and locations.