Welcome from the Program Director
Welcome to the GRMEP/Michigan State University Internal Medicine Residency Program. I’m so glad you decided to stop by our website and learn more about our awesome program! Let me tell you why I think it’s an amazing place to learn and grow and why you should be here.
One of the main locations our residents practice medicine is Spectrum Health Butterworth. Butterworth has the distinction of being ranked by U.S. News & World Report in its Best Hospitals 2015-2016 rankings. It is also ranked among Healthgrades America‘s 50 Best Hospitals ™ 2016. With over 630 beds, Butterworth Hospital is a Level I Trauma Center and a clinical leader in cardiovascular, cancer and neurosciences, among many others. The availability of higher level services provided at Spectrum Health, including heart, lung, and bone marrow transplant, has added to the exposure of these complex specialized patient populations to our resident physician and truly enhanced the educational experience we are able to offer. Spectrum Health has been awarded primary stroke center and heart failure certifications and has won the Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence.
The brilliance of our “Medical Mile” allows our residents to practice medicine in state of the art facilities. Spectrum Health and Grand Rapids has over 100 years of investing in graduate medical education. As medicine has evolved, so has our residencies. We are proud to have produced some of the best primary care and hospitalist physicians, in addition to having prepared the many others who have gone on to fellowship training in various internal medicine subspecialties .
While our hospitals and clinics are second to none, we boast the most about our community attending physicians and the passion they have for resident education! We have high expectations of our residents and with the guidance of our faculty and staff, our residents always rise to the occasion. We place a strong emphasis on education over service. Our general medicine wards and ICUs are staffed with attending physicians 24/7. All of our teaching services are closely supervised by in-house attending physicians. There is always someone to look to and to learn from, making ours a nonmalignant learning environment that fosters mentorship and camaraderie. Simply put, we make good doctors!
We invite you to learn more about our community here in Grand Rapids. It’s a beautiful place to live and Michigan’s second largest populated city. Whether you enjoy walking along the river-side taking in the view of the rapids, watching minor league sporting events such as baseball, basketball or hockey, attending big-ticket artist concerts, taking in a Broadway play, the symphony, or perusing downtown for museums and good eats, there’s something here for you. So check us out! We hope to see you soon!
Dr. TaLawnda Bragg
What Our Residents Are Saying
Welcome to GRMEP/Michigan State University Internal Medicine Residency Program. We’re excited about our program, and we invite you to explore our website and discover why you should be here!
“I love the program for these reasons: superb emphasis on resident education, multidisciplinary approach in patient care, excellent camaraderie among staff, and the fact that the program is located in Grand Rapids which has simply the best of everything in terms of cultural attractions, recreational activities and economic opportunities.” PGY-2
“With state of the art hospital facilities and a friendly, welcoming residency staff; Grand Rapids was a perfect choice for me to do my residency training. Additionally, West Michigan is a beautiful area with lots to see and do.” PGY-1
“I believe People are what make an institute special. I observed a genuine camaraderie among house staff, faculty and administrative staff during my interview. GRMEP provides ample opportunities for academic and clinical grooming of a physician”. PGY-1
“Great education, great experience, great city, great learning environment, in a program that will still allow you to have a life outside of work. I couldn’t ask for much more than that.” PGY-3
“A place second to none!” PGY-3.
- We have a long-standing, strong community commitment to the education of medical residents in our community. The pledge signed by all medical staff members at Spectrum Health’s two hospitals in Grand Rapids includes “I agree to participate in teaching assignments and to accept other responsibilities if required by my department.”
- Our attending physicians are very approachable and work in a cooperative atmosphere with our medical residents, treating them with appropriate respect.
- Our hospitals serve a regional patient population of approximately one million people who look to our hospitals for almost all of their medical care. This yields the broadest spectrum of diseases for educating our residents.
- Our Internal Medicine residents are able to interact with almost 250 other residents training in other medical fields. We believe that our community has the largest number of postgraduate physicians in training of any center that does not have a university hospital on site.
- All former program directors for our Internal Medicine residency have retained an active role in educating our residents.
- We can adjust our service sizes to meet the educational needs of our residents.
- Our community has a large commitment to medical research. The Van Andel Institute is a local independent research institute that is “committed to improving the health and changing the lives of current and future generations, through biomedical research and science education.” Michigan State University’s College of Human Medicine Grand Rapids Biomedical Research Building was just erected adjacent to where our residents train. It’s goal is “to advance the trajectory of NIH-funded research growth.”
* Dedicated faculty committed to teaching competent, outstanding physicians in an academic and collegial environment.
* Rotations at Spectrum Health and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s Healthcare offer a rich educational experience with a culturally diverse patient population.
* An academic program affiliated with The Michigan State University-College of Human Medicine
Listing of our recent graduates’ Fellowship Programs and locations.