Welcome from the Program Director
Warm greetings from the Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program. Our residency program brings the resources of two campuses which includes Spectrum Health Butterworth and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s.
We have 32 residents, 8 at each level. Our residents rotate through both of the above hospitals, which are in close proximity to each other. Each hospital has somewhat different patient populations and attending staffs, giving our residents a very broad experience in education and patient care. We have 18 sub-specialists on our combined faculty. The residents receive in-depth training in Maternal Fetal Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology, UroGynecology and Gynecologic Oncology. Extensive teaching of operative laparoscopy, and ultrasonography are additional strong components of our program.
We are affiliated with the Michigan State University-College of Human Medicine. Our residents receive appointments as Clinical Instructors from this institution, and have the opportunity to teach medical students who rotate through the hospitals. Our residents also participate in the training of Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine and Transitional Year residents.
The patient volume at each hospital is very high. Our resident’s procedure experience ranks near the top nationally. However, we still stress education above service, and we have protected time for resident’s participation in didactic conferences. Residents are given an educational allowance to attend conferences at away locations after their first year. We have maintained flexibility in the development of our program and have actively involved residents during the construction of the curriculum. We have a “night float” call system at Mercy Health Saint Mary’s and at Spectrum Health Butterworth Campus.
West Michigan has four extraordinary seasons making Grand Rapids a wonderful place to live year around. The excellent schools, the many cultural events, and the abundance of outdoor activities make Grand Rapids an excellent community for raising a family.
We welcome your inquiries, and look forward to seeing you.
Michael S. Werkema, MD
Goals & Philosophies
- To prepare each resident for the next phase in their career, be it subspecialty training or private practice.
- To develop in each resident the professional capabilities and attitudes to provide quality medical and surgical care for the female patient, from adolescence through menopause.
- To instill in each resident the special medical knowledge of our field, and to prepare each resident for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology certifying exam.
- To teach each resident the appropriate traditional and innovative surgical skills of our specialty.
- To assist each resident in completing and presenting one scientific project.
- To develop sound clinical judgment in each resident.
- To foster strong interpersonal skills and to establish commitment to wellness for all female members of our society.
The exciting opportunity, which exists for future and current residents, is the chance to contribute to the creation of a dynamic residency program. You will be entering a program which contains not only an incredible wealth of excellent board-certified volunteer faculty, but also some of the best fellowship trained sub-specialists which include 6 in Maternal Fetal Medicine, 5 in Reproductive Endocrinology, 3 in Gynecologic Oncology and 4 in UroGynecology.